Let’s talk wardrobe! I’ve gathered some tips and outfit ideas (with links to Amazon!) to make finding an outfit for your photo session easy!
• Solid colors always photograph well. There’s no risk of distracting from faces, joyful interactions or even the beautiful scenery.
• Don’t match but compliment
• Women, look for flow, natural soft fabrics that drape. These make for beautiful portraits and give a sense of motion.
• Neutrals such as beige, soft pinks, cream, muted blues, soft greens + grey and white all photograph extremely beautiful.
• When in doubt select one patterned outfit for a single person in the family and then pull colors from that pattern to dress everyone else in solid colors to coordinate.
• Wear comfortable shoes and clothes you can move in. If your dress gets suddenly too short when you bend over, or your pants are too tight to sit down in, opt for more breathable pieces. Be prepared to move!
• Limit distracting patterns and large logos.
• Layers are your friend – adding a light sweater or loose top can never go wrong. Think tights, cardigans, blazers, jewelry, and/or scarves. Accessories can take an average outfit and make it feel more complete.
• Do opt for accessories! Bowties, suspenders, hats, flower headbands, chunky scarves, beautiful flowing dresses and skirts—these create visual interest and movement in your photos, and really help the images stand apart. Photos are a special occasion; take advantage of this fun opportunity to dress up a little more.
• Keep the location and weather in mind. Make sure to separate yourself from the background. Contrasting and complementary colors are your friend.
• Don’t forget the shoes. Photos are taken from many different angles. Yours don’t need to be the best or brand new, but make sure they are clean and in good appearance.
MOMS + DUDETTES
Thinking simple, cozy, light + bright. I recommend whites, cream, oatmeal light pinks for moms. For maternity, family and newborn sessions – my all time favorite is a boho dress. Below are a few of my favorite simple outfit ideas I recommend for in home and outdoor photo sessions.
PANTS + JUMPERS
For those looking for more casual – and NOT A DRESS (like me) a great pair of boyfriend jeans and nice top do wonders.
DADS + DUDES
Guys just have to keep it simple and nice. For in home sessions and the more casual look a great park of dark-ish jeans and a simple plain nice t-shirt is the go to. Here are some other examples of outfit ideas for men. These can be worn to almost all types of sessions, in-home family or newborn, outdoor family or causal couple portraits. For shirt colors I recommend light grey, light blue, oatmeal, off white.
I love to keep it simple on newborn sessions. Often then are in their birthday suit or simple diaper cover. For newborn sessions I bring a simple diaper cover and white swaddle.
*this pg. contains affiliated links